Today I am linking up with Erin and Katie for a little “getting to know you” blogging activity. All of you know that I love to run, bike, travel, and train… but what else is there to know about me? I always enjoy getting to know others, so I thought I would put myself out there a bit more. Here we go…
1. I can be quite shy at first around people I don’t know and take my time letting people get to know the real me.
2. I keep all of my movie/concert/sporting event ticket stubs.
3. I know more about football than most men.
4. Growing up in the country as an only child, I discovered that I had a huge imagination. You can build a lot of forts, climb a lot of trees, and catch a lot of different bugs on 10 acres.
5. Although I played with Barbies, I would take wood laying around our property and build boats and houses for them. Classic tomboy.
6. My father passed away from pancreatic cancer when I was in my first year of grad school. I witnessed his passing and today it remains the most difficult day of my life.
7. Camping is one of my favorite things in the world. I wish we went camping more often.
8. I once had a conversation with Joe Montana in REI. He was shopping with his wife and actually started the conversation with me. We’re pretty much BFFs.
9. I don’t like grocery shopping or cooking. Thank goodness my husband does.
10. I have a Masters and PhD in Social Psychology. No, this does not mean I am always analyzing people.
11. Yes, it does mean that I am very in tune with my surroundings. There is a meaning behind all human behavior.
12. My goal in the next few years is to develop a Sports Psychology course at Oregon State.
13. I have never had surgery.
14. I wrote for the sports section of my high school newspaper.
15. And was the scorekeeper for our men’s varsity basketball team. When you are a freshman, traveling with a bunch of boys, you are really living the dream.
16. Wine is my drink of choice.
17. Walla Walla is my favorite wine region and has some of the best Syrahs in the world.
18. Blogging makes me feel connected and part of a much bigger world.
19. I’ve met some incredible people through blogging and social media.
20. I drove a beverage cart at a golf course during summer break in grad school. Holy tips!
21. I am a chronic list maker. If something needs to get done, put it on the list.
22. I want a Golden Retriever more than anything.
23. Running has gotten me through some pretty tough times. I owe my life to this incredible sport.
24. I have huge girl crushes on Reese Witherspoon, Miranda Carefree, and Linsey Corbin.
25. When it comes to conversation, you will catch me more on the listening side than speaking side.
26. Mascara and eye shadow are the only make-up I wear.
27. During a fishing trip in Cabo San Lucas, I caught a 10ft Blue Marlin that took me 2 hours to reel in. It was one of the most difficult and rewarding things I have ever done.
28. My favorite book is The Last Lecture.
29. I hate public speaking, yet somehow managed to teach college classes for several years, sometimes in front of 300-400 students. I blacked out every time.
30. Teaching at the college level has also been very conflicting for someone my age, as I could have been friends with a lot of my students. There have been some incredible people in my classes.
31. I can be very stubborn, especially when something is very important to me. Or when I don’t get my way. 😉
32. I drove to Fairbanks once during the summer to fish and be with a boy. It took me 3 days and I slept in my car at truck stops.
33. When I was in college, I met an exchange student from Madrid during spring break and we really hit it off. He flew me to Europe and we visited Paris, Barcelona, Madrid, and went on a cruise in the Mediterranean.
34. I much prefer working out in the morning. No better way to start the day than with a good sweat.
35. Bora Bora is the most beautiful place I have ever been. The Masai Mara in Kenya is a close second.
36. I could spend the entire summer up in the Cascade Mountains, hiking, biking, camping and taking pictures. Thank goodness they are only 20 minutes away.
37. Someday I would like to hike the PCT.
38. In an age of email and text messaging, I still absolutely love getting regular old mail. My grandma and I write to each other at least once a month.
39. I once ran into a random house during a marathon because I had to go to the bathroom so bad.
40. I much prefer a game night at home than going out any day.
41. Growing up I would have a lot of friends over for sleepovers and we would stay up all night and slide down the stairs in our sleeping bags.
42. When I was 20 I had a fake ID. I rarely used it, but it always worked when I did. I can’t believe I am admitting this.
43. I get my competitiveness from my mom and my introverted tendencies from my dad.
44. Growing up around adults, I have zero experience with kids. Babies scare me.
45. My house was once TP’d the night before my parents were showing it to a number of potential buyers. That was a long day of cleanup.
46. Amusement parks make me happy.
47. I’m trying to learn how to be more spontaneous. Definitely a work in progress.
48. I love reality TV. Perhaps it’s because I am a social psychologist. Or, maybe it’s because I get to shut off my brain for a moment.
49. I want to be a better Christian and work on my relationship with God.
50. My biggest fears are not being able to do what I love and having my independence stripped away from me.
51. I received a personal letter from Lauren Fleshman a couple months ago and have been inspired ever since.
52. I love going to the movies and eating popcorn. The way to this girl’s heart is popcorn. And yes, with butter please.
53. It sounds cliché, but my wedding day was literally the most perfect day of my life.
54. I am incredibly blessed with some amazing friends who have been there for me through thick and thin.
55. I need to be a better friend.
56. I have a massive sweet tooth and could live off cupcake icing and froyo.
57. That being said, I consider myself a very healthy eater. My mom is a nutritionist so I learned from the best.
58. Have you read the book “The Five Love Languages”? My languages of love are quality time and receiving gifts.
59. I hate singing, but I love music!
60. If I am good at something, I will put in 100% effort all the time. If I am bad at something, I move on. Hence, my predicament with swimming.
61. I love taking mini-vacations with my husband.
62. I admire Justin’s sister Jill in so many ways. I wish we were closer. I can’t help but smile when I am around her.
63. That being said, I love Justin’s entire family.
64. Road trips are the BEST!
65. I would love to be a more patient person, but I don’t have the patience to work on this.
66. There is something about dying Easter Eggs that makes me feel like a kid again.
67. Number one on my bucket list is to finish an Ironman.
68. Number two is to climb Kilimanjaro.
69. I would go back to Africa in a heartbeat.
70. I am extremely structured and organized.
71. I don’t like having long nails. When you’re as active as I am, a break is inevitable.
72. I actually enjoy airports and flying. It means I am going somewhere.
73. Deep tissue massages = Heaven.
74. I once broke my arm playing kickball, of all things. It’s the only time I have ever broken a bone.
75. I prefer my beverages to be served in a wine glass. Water, soda, juice…
76. I’m not sure I could live without coffee.
77. My husband is my favorite person in the world. I think he possesses all of the qualities that define a good human being.
78. I hate mushrooms, pecans, and walnuts. Will not go near.
79. Things that sparkle make me happy.
80. I kept Jelly Belly in business while working on my dissertation.
81. I can’t run or bike without Extra Spearmint gum and Burt’s Bees lip balm.
82. I love looking at houses. House Hunters is one of my favorite shows. We are currently looking to buy a new home.
83. When it comes to traveling, I always seem to over-pack. My motto: better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.
84. My dad was a smokejumper, so I have always wanted to jump out of a plane to see why he enjoyed it so much.
85. I don’t like needles and am deathly afraid of anesthesia.
86. It would be an understatement to say that I am a sore loser.
87. Losing makes me want to work even harder. But then again, so does winning.
88. Put me next to the pool, in the sun, with a good book or magazine, and I’ll be happy for hours.
89. I am the type of person that has a closet full of clothes, yet can’t find anything to wear.
90. Mexican food is my favorite. Maybe I should move to Mexico. Or just vacation there a lot.
91. I can stick my entire fist in my mouth. Not my most attractive quality, but I can do it.
92. I love arcade games. Ms. Pac-Man and Pac-Man in particular.
93. One of my goals this year and beyond is to be more supportive and encouraging toward other athletes.
94. Triathlon has given me a whole new appreciation for my body and my mind, and what they are both capable of doing.
95. Triathlon has also given me an entirely new perspective on life.
96. I love hunting for arrowheads. I could spend hours walking around in search of the perfect piece. There will never be another like the one I found a few years ago.
97. I have never gone to a movie by myself. Someday I would like to give it a try.
98. I love random trivia, especially Jeopardy. My husband and I DVR it.
99. My mom and I are super close. I feel like I can talk to her about anything.
100. I’m always early or on time. Being late gives me major anxiety.
101. I think I need a nap.