It’s hard to believe I ran a marathon only eight days ago. The feeling is surreal. This past week has been really low key as I have been listening to my body and trying to let it rest and repair. Yesterday was my first run in a week and I was able to crank out 5 miles at an easy pace. It felt good to breathe in the fresh air, get some movement in my legs, and enjoy the pops of colors around town.
Today I decided to take advantage of the last nice day of weather forecasted for at least a week and headed up to the mountains for a little trail run. I was going to run along the river trail but had a spontaneous urge to make one last trip up to the Cascades before the snow starts to fall.
I loaded up my Camelbak with some water, a Luna bar, my journal, and phone, and made the drive to Todd Lake for an easy trek around the lake and surrounding area.
At about the halfway point I stopped, had a little picnic, did a little blogging (I write half of my blog posts in a journal first), and chuckled at the little frogs bouncing all around me. Todd Lake is famous for its thousands of frogs that cover the moist, mossy ground, and of course for its stunning views of Mt. Bachelor.
I thought a lot about my race schedule for the upcoming year. I thrive off of having something on my schedule and it motivates me not only to train, but to be the best me in other areas of my life as well. Training and racing has a ripple effect, and I’m an all around happier and more energetic person when I’m working toward an athletic goal. I have a lot of energy and it needs an outlet. Therefore, when my schedule becomes blank, typically around this time of year, I begin to panic and start looking for ideas.
My husband apparently married a running obsessed maniac, because as soon as one of my friends mentioned the California International Marathon I immediately became intrigued and asked him if we could go to Sacramento in December for the marathon. When it comes to racing, I always want Justin and I to make these decisions together. It requires a lot of time and money to have a continuous race schedule.
I am excited to say that my 2014 race season is not yet over and I will be adding one last marathon to my schedule! It was somewhat meant to be, because although the marathon was sold out, they still had slots available for those who had met specific marathon finishing times during the previous year. And what do you know, my finishing time in Portland was fast enough to meet their requirements. Boom – registered.
I have never done two marathons in one year, let alone two months. I feel surprisingly good only a week after completing the Portland Marathon, so I thought, why not? Because I have already qualified for Boston, there will be less pressure to make a certain time, and I can really put my legs into cruise control and enjoy. But, lets be honest, it’s one of the fastest courses in the country and I will still give it my all and aim for a PR.
I am so very grateful to Justin for his support, especially when he has been unable to do so much because of his surgery. A couple of you asked how he was doing, and I guess the answer is, OK. I know it is incredibly frustrating for him to have to crutch around, not bear any weight, and rely on me for so much. Especially when he is no longer in any pain or discomfort, and feels like 5% of his body is holding back the other 95% that is eager to get back to business as usual. Despite the frustration, he has maintained a good attitude and is looking forward to having the cast off on October 30. At least it looks cool!
Have you ever run two marathons close together? Did it go well?
I have never been to Sacramento! Any recommendations on where to stay (downtown) and where we should eat?